SKI PHOTOGRAPHY WORKSHOP
March 15 – 16, 2013
REGISTRATION IS CLOSED
The OVBA in partnership with Ryan Thompson of RLT Photography, is pleased to announce the 2013 SKI PHOTOGRAPHY WORKSHOP. This in-depth photography workshop of indoor and outdoor sessions will take your winter sports photography to the next level, with skills applicable to all types of adventure photography. Ryan Thompson will conduct this workshop, meeting indoors for the afternoon of March 15th (dinner included), and outdoors on March 16th on the slopes of Snowbasin Resort (lift ticket included), followed by additional classwork and critique of your photographs.
A message from Ryan:
“I am excited to be teaching this class and share the knowledge I have gained over the past 15 years of winter sports photography and what it takes to do it right.”
Attendees of all skill levels are welcome to attend. The workshop will be geared toward the level of attendees. It is recommended that you own and have at least a basic working knowledge of a digital SLR camera, and be able to ski or snowboard a variety of terrain at Snowbasin Resort. Read more about Ryan (lower on this page), and join us for this adventure in photography. Here is what people are saying about his workshops:
“Ryan Thompson has an eye for detail that not only captures powerful images, it captures the story within those images. He breaks down the elements of effective photography into a series of simple processes that students can understand and apply, personal and professional, he puts students and photo subjects at ease, bringing out the very best in both.” Jennifer Jones
“Thanks again so much for workshop and class. I learned a lot! I have officially switched over to RAW and I also bought Lightroom and converted to that. I am so glad I took that class because doing those two things has improved my photography a ton! I really do appreciate your willingness to help those of us that are learning. It really is so awesome of you!” Melanie Isaac
“You are amazing! I couldn’t be more happy for the service you provide! Not many photographers would have put in the extra time and energy that I know you did!” Scott Waters
“You win best photography instructor of the year hands down!!!” Julie Passey
Friday, March 15th
1 PM: Meet at Harley & Buck’s Eden, UT
- Introduction to the different aspects and angles of winter sports photography
- Instruction in Adobe Photoshop Lightroom (developing RAW images with Lightroom tools)
- Instruction in camera functions and tricks depending on end product goals
- Discussion about which camera equipment works best for different situations.
5 PM: Dinner with Informal Discussions and Questions & Answer opportunities
7 PM: Adjourn
Saturday, March 16th
8:30 AM: Meet at the Old Day Lodge (Loft) at Snowbasin Ski Resort prepared to ski/board with your camera equipment. Gear check before heading out onto the mountain on skis or snowboard.
9 AM: Hit the slopes for action and portrait ski photography.
12 PM: Lunch. You are free to bring a lunch and eat at the Old Day Lodge with the group, or purchase lunch and eat at any of the three lodges on the mountain.
1 PM: Meet to continue shooting action photographs, as well as scenic photography at some spectacular vistas.
3 PM: Meet at the Old Day Lodge for additional questions, instruction and photograph critique.
6 PM: Class adjourns.
NOTE: Itinerary is subject to slight changes.
Participants may submit photographs from the Saturday shoot to win cash from the OVBA and 16″ x 20″ prints from Nichols Photo Lab. Prizes and contest rules to be announced.
Instructor, Ryan Thompson
Ryan Thompson has been training and teaching photographers of every skill level for more than eight years. He worked at Snowbird and trained photographers there for five years. He has been working at Snowbasin for the past three years, training photographers and shooting photography for all of Snowbasin’s promotional materials, flyers, brochures, trail maps, newspaper articles and more. He typically mentors other photographers while doing so.
Ryan has taught workshops and classes on Adobe Photoshop Lightroom, as well as advanced and beginner photography, at Nichols Photolab in Salt Lake City for the past four years. He has conducted many private classes for confidential clients.
Photography has always been a passion for Ryan, enough so that he gave up a very promising career with the Foreign Service to pursue it full time. He believes that if you are passionate about something you should strive to do whatever possible to hone that skill, and share it as well. He loves sharing what he has learned, and therefore teaching has been a natural outlet.
Ryan’s professional career includes photography for several outdoor companies, both in the backcountry on location at ski resorts, and in the studio. Clients include Skull Candy, Gortex, Cabella’s, Snowest, RMSHA, Vasque, Black Stone, Muskoka Lifestyle Products, Klim, Yamaha, and Ski-Doo, to name just a few. He was also the winner of the first ever Ski-Utah world-wide ski photo contest.
Ryan’s imagery has been used on billboards, and major add campaigns for Snowbird, Snowbasin, Yamaha, Ski-Doo and the OVBA. His images have also been on the cover of many web sites, most recently SkiUtah.com. Channel 5 news has been using Ryan’s images on weather casts now for more than eleven years. His ski photography has also been featured in the Salt Lake Tribune.
- Friday, March 15th, 1 PM: Meet at Harley & Buck’s 3900 N Wolf Creek Drive, Eden, UT
- Saturday, March 16th, 8:30 AM: Meet at Old Day Lodge at Snowbasin Resort (see map below). The Old Day Lodge is at the top of the Little Cat Chair. It is located about a half mile BEFORE the new parking lot when driving on SR 226 from Trappers Loop (SR 168). When you pull in someone will be waiting by the Gate to let you in. If no one is there and the Gate is locked, call 801-390-5744 or 801-920-5068.
What to Bring
- Ski or snowboard equipment
- Warm winter clothing
- Camera equipment and charged batteries (Note: you will NOT be using a tripod)
- A proper camera bag to carry equipment while skiing or boarding
- Sunglasses and sunscreen
- Lunch or money for lunch
- Laptop computer with Lightroom installed for Friday class (optional)
- Laptop computer to download your images after mountain photography on Saturday (optional)
The following companies or properties provide lodging in the Upper Ogden Valley (Eden and Huntsville):
Hotels & Inns
Cost and Registration
REGISTRATION IS CLOSED
* NOTE: A minimum of ten participants is required for the workshop to run (if we cancel due to low enrollment at least 7 days prior to workshop, all money is refunded immediately.) Attendee cancellation by Feb. 15, 2013, full refund is provided. Cancellation by March 1, 2013 a 50% refund is provided. Cancellation after March 1, 2013, no refund provided (we recommend purchasing travel insurance at time of payment to cover your payment and travel expenses in the event that you must cancel due to injury or illness, etc).
Utah Photography Workshops