Breast cancer accounts for nearly 1 in 3 cancer diagnoses in American women.
You’ve seen the pink ribbons, but do you really know the facts about breast cancer? Hopefully, you and your loved ones will never have to face this disease, but it’s good to have a better understanding of breast cancer and the millions of lives it affects every day.
Know the risk factors
- Women 40 and older account for 95% of new invasive breast cancer cases each year.
- Having one first-degree relative (mother, sister or daughter) with breast cancer approximately doubles a woman’s risk.
- Smoking, drinking alcohol and being overweight may increase the risk of breast cancer.
Early detection is key
- The American Cancer Society recommends yearly mammograms starting at age 40.
- Early detection by mammography leads to a greater range of treatment options, including less extensive surgery and the use of chemotherapy with fewer serious side effects.
From 1989 to 2012, breast cancer death rates decreased by 36%.
It helps to be prepared…
Voluntary benefits can help provide financial protection in the event of a cancer diagnosis:
- Cancer insurance helps offset the covered out-of-pocket medical and indirect, non-medical expenses related to cancer that most plans don’t cover.
- Critical illness insurance with optional cancer coverage supplements your major medical coverage by providing a lump-sum benefit that you can use to pay the direct and indirect costs related to a covered critical illness.
- Health screening benefits, which are available with many policies, may help you pay for annual preventive tests, including mammograms.
For men, the lifetime risk of getting breast cancer is about 1 in 1,000.
Cancer Insurance is available through Colonial Life, to help offset the out-of-pocket medical and indirect, non-medical expenses related to cancer that most plans don’t cover. If you would like additional information or quotes for your business reach out to your local agent Jori Torman. She can be reached at email@example.com or call 801.814.1352.
– Serving Colonial Life clients since 2013 –
3 American Cancer Society, American Cancer Society Guidelines for the Early Detection of Cancer, cancer.org, March 11, 2015
Insurance products are underwritten by Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Company. ©2016 Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Company. All rights reserved. Colonial Life is a registered trademark and marketing brand of Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Company.
American Cancer Society, Learn about Cancer, cancer.org, October 10, 2014
American Cancer Society, Breast Cancer Facts & Figures 2015-2016